It always seems like I can never find anything I like in my closet, until I am about to go on a trip.
Why is that?! It always seems like I try to pack everything I can when I am about to go on a vacation. I will bring 20 outfits for a 5 day trip. It makes no sense, but I am trying to do better when it comes to packing.
There are multiple reasons why packing light is important:
- If you are flying, then you want to pack minimally. The plane may lose your luggage or you may be charged extra fees if your luggage weighs too much.
- It can be a pain to carry so many things of luggage with you.
- Makes life easier when you are traveling.
Below are my tips to pack lightly for a trip.
Know the weather of where you are traveling to.
Have you researched the weather of your vacation destination? If the place you are traveling to will be a constant 90 degrees while you are there, then jeans may not be needed.
You might want to bring one pair of nice pants/slacks in case you go to a nice place (such as a nice restaurant), but for the most part shorts, skirt, dresses and short sleeve tops should do you fine.
Create a list of what you need to bring.
Before you start packing, make an exact list of what you need for each day. This will help you think about what you need instead of trying to throw everything into your suitcase, creating a huge mess and thinking about it while you are trying to clean everything up.
Find items that are multi-purpose.
If you can, try to pack items that are multi-purpose. There are items out there that can multi-purpose as skirts, tops, and dresses all at the same time.
Also, layering is your friend. A light cardigan may completely transform your outfit, and it’s all you needed.
Here are my other tips:
- Limit the amount of shoes that you bring. You probably don’t need a different pair each day.
- Roll your items – this can save space in your luggage.
- If you think you have too much, then take at least one item out immediately.
Do you ever have trouble packing when you go on vacation?
Or am I alone?