You may not need everything on the list below, but it is a good start!
How will you be sleeping?
You might think “Oh, I will just throw my sleeping bag on the ground and sleep.” However, that doesn’t usually work the best for most. You may wake up with a sore back or not have even gotten any sleep if you don’t have a tent or a sleeping bag pad.
What will you be eating?
If you are camping, you will obviously need food and water. You will need enough food for at least 3 meals, and then you will need snacks as well.
You want food items that can last while you go hiking. You probably don’t want something that needs to go into a fridge – unless you’re willing to bring that with you!
How are you going to carry everything?
If you are going on a short camping trip, it is probably easy to carry everything, but if you are going on a long camping trip then this section will be a bit harder for you. You need to be able to carry everything that you bring, and you don’t want it to be too heavy or any hike that you do with all of your gear on will be absolutely miserable.
If you have any medications, then it is usually best to bring them just in case anything happens. Also, don’t forget a first aid kit!
Health insurance card.
This is something that can easily be forgotten. If something does happen and your medication is not enough, you need to have your health insurance card to make the process go more smoothly if you need to go to the hospital or see some form of medical care.
What else am I forgetting?
Here is a list of things you may need for your camping trip:
- Tent and tent supplies
- GPS, maps, lanterns, batteries, sunglasses, knife, watch, identification, etc.
- Sleeping bag, pillow, pads, etc.
- Water, food and snacks.
- Thermos, jugs, pots, pans, forks, spoons, bowls, stove, matches, cups, can opener, napkins, and whatever else cooking supplies that are needed.
- Clothing. Don’t forget to pack for both during the day and at night-time. Layers are important!
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, toilet paper, sunscreen, bug spray, soap, etc.
- And of course a first aid kit!
What is your must-have when you go camping?
Image via Flickr by Ross Harmes